School Safety Guide
Dunman High School is committed to ensuring a safe and secure environment for all staff and students.
It is the policy of the School, so far as is reasonably practicable, to:
- Establish and maintain a safe and secure environment throughout the school;
- Establish and maintain safe working procedures among staff and students;
- Ensure the provision of sufficient information, instruction and supervision to enable all staff and students to avoid hazards and contribute positively to their own health and safety;
- Allow staff and students to have access to safety training as appropriate or as and when provided;
- Formulate effective procedures for use in case of fire, accidents or other emergencies and for evacuating the school premises;
- Teach safety as part of students’ responsibilities where appropriate.
In pursuance of this policy the School has established the Safety Committee, to advise members of the School on all matters relating to safety and to oversee the implementation of the School’s Safety Policy.
Responsibilities of all Staff
All staff have responsibilities to:
- Identify and where possible, eliminate hazards. In areas where they cannot be eliminated, employees are expected to be aware of hazards and safeguard themselves and others around them;
- Consider safety in every task they perform and in every decision they make;
- Be responsible for their personal safety and of any person who might be affected by their acts at work;
- Make themselves aware of all safety rules, procedures and safe working practices as applicable to their posts; where in doubt they must seek immediate clarification from members of the School Safety Committee;
- Ensure that tools and equipment that they may use in the course of their work are in good condition and report any defects to members of the School Safety Committee;
- Use any protective clothing and safety equipment provided and ensure that these are kept in good condition.
Responsibilities of Students
All students are expected to:
- Exercise personal responsibility for their own safety and their fellow students;
- Observe all the safety rules of the school;
- Use all safety equipment for its intended purposes.